retrocom.com
March 28, 2024, 11:35:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Retro Milwaukee Memories page 14 is now on-line. Check it out!

Retro Milwaukee   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HALLS  (Read 14592 times)
Roadsnakes

« on: May 10, 2013, 10:34:39 AM »

When I was a kid there were dozens of HALLS in my neighborhood. Most were a bar with a hall in the back, but many were Halls for weddings, anniversaries, 1st Communions, etc. etc. When I was a kid I remember riding my bike with my friends on hot Saturday nights, When we`d ride past one of these halls,  because most were not air conditioned, the windows were open and we could hear the music, smell the beer and cigars, etc. etc. Tongue I had friends in high school that made "crashing" events at these halls a weekly occurrence. They`d  put a shirt, tie and sport coat on, wait until around 10:00pm, and walk in , belly up to bar , and get free draft beer for the rest of the night. Shocked By 10:00pm the wedding was in full swing, many already had quite a few drinks, and nobody would question them. Wink One of favorites was The 5 Star Hall on 8th and Cleveland. It`s still there today! Cool
Report to moderator   Logged
Roadsnakes

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 12:09:14 PM »

ALMOST a month , and not one reply. Sad I can`t believe nobody remembers a banquet hall in their neighborhood!  Undecided

I had at least a dozen in walking distance. And, not one is still in business.

They we`re Great places, filled with memories to last a lifetime! Smiley
timmyj3

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »

Hey Roadsnakes. It is shame there are so few replies and posts here. This could be a great forum.

As for halls, I was raised on 15th and Mantoba and none really come to mind. However, my father ran the Woolworths on 10th and Mitchell. The guys at Woolworth and Gimbels had a favorite watering hole in back of the stores. It was a Polish Amvet type home and hall. They had a bar in the basement that was open to the pubilc and a hall for rent on the main floor. This would have been on 10th street between Lapham and Mitchell. I know this place was kicking into the early 90's.
Roadsnakes

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 04:17:29 AM »

I think that might have been the VFW Post 2304  Sgt. Leslie T. Knutson Post . I went to a couple of weddings there. I even have a old picture of me standing out in front of it!  Shocked

You were pretty close to some halls living on 15th and Manitoba. Smiley

I think there was one on 16th and Cleveland, and there was The Cleveland Ballroom around 12th and Cleveland.

There was also a good one on 6th and Manitoba! Wink

timmyj3

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »

The Cleveland Arcade was on 16th & Cleveland and was a bowling alley/hall. One of my high school friends lived next door to it!

Way to jog my memory!

The VFW Post is not the one I am referring to. This was a Polish organization and was on 10th street. The nickname of the bar was "The Polish Club" The address would have been between Mitchell and Lapham on 10th. The Knutson post was very well known and on Lapham.

I dont remember the place on 13th and Cleveland but do remember a place on 6th and Manitoba.

Thanks, Tim
Roadsnakes

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »

There was a Polish Hall on 11th or 12th and Arthur .
 My Mom had her wedding shower there in the 1940`s !! But, I don`t think that`s the one you`re thinking of.

There was also one on 35th and Lincoln ave. It`s still there, but I think the hall is no longer used.

There were ton`s of bars with attached halls back then. Lots of good times were had in those halls. Grin

Even Jerry`s Squirrel Cage on 6th and Arthur had a small hall in the basement. Shocked

Back then , a barrel of Pabst Blue Ribbon, some polish sausage, and rye bread, and you had yourself a feast and party to remember! Wink
paperboy
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 01:10:04 PM »

went to a wedding at a hall on 18th or 19th maybe 20th and forest home, north side of street. yes halls everywhere. remember always seeing a couple of strip clubs on 13th and maybe Cleveland? east side of street. Can't remember names. Some grocery store cross street down a little. cant remember name. would be early 70s. There was a Dino's pizza further south from there east side of street. Remember Lincoln music on 13th and Morgan?? west side of street. bought first guitar there. The square area between Oklahoma on the  south and Lincoln on the north, 13th on  west and 6th on  east had bars on seemingly every corner and even in the middle of the block. lots had halls. some had a bar on three of the four corners. I remember some kind of hardware store on Arthur and 12th or 13th? North side of street. Ring any bells for anyone? cant remember name. also natatorium between Arthur and Lincoln on 10th or 11th? What was name of grade school on 11th and Oklahoma? Does anyone remember the "forge" teen dance joint on Oklahoma ave. south side of street. maybe across from the forge foundry? hope someone else remembers some of that stuff.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: