retrocom.com
April 18, 2024, 11:41:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Don't forget to visit our main site at Retro-Milwaukee.com

Retro Milwaukee   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Best bygone pizza place.  (Read 48831 times)
timmyj3

« on: January 11, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »

Hi all,

Lets all throw in our picks for pizza places that we remember. This could be a cool forum for us!

I miss Dominics on 16th and Windlake, and Auggies on 60th and Mitchell? maybe Lapham.

Thanks.
Report to moderator   Logged
nectarsis

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »

Hi all,

Lets all throw in our picks for pizza places that we remember. This could be a cool forum for us!

I miss Dominics on 16th and Windlake, and Auggies on 60th and Mitchell? maybe Lapham.

Thanks.

Cliched I know but Pizza Man Sad
Roadsnakes

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 12:53:25 PM »

Dominics was VERY good! Even Papa Stu`s that came years later was well worth the money.

BUT

For some reason , one of THE best pizza`s I ever had was from a chain pizzaria! Embarrassed

BARNABY`s on 27`th st, south of Layton ave.
'
THAT was one great pizza!

I think they stiil might have a Barnaby`s in Illinois.
'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjQEQBJ1IWA&feature=related
timmyj3

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:19:34 AM »

Barnaby's was good. I used to frequent one out on the northwest side in the late 70's.

There is a Barnaby's in Elk Grove right bt the airport. I get down that way for business but have never stopped in.

In the early 70's there was Neds on 16th and Oklahoma (not for long). One halloween they gave kids a free slice! My and my friends must have made 4 trips in there.
Happy1

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »

Barnaby website http://www.barnabysschaumburg.com/

History

Originated in the mid 1960's by Angelo Geocaris as a concept named the Brown Bottle. Due to a conflict with Schlitz Brewery which operated a courtesy room with the same name, it was necessary to change the name. At that time Mr. Geocaris purchased the right to the name Barnaby's from a local downtown bar and Barnaby's Family Inn was born. There have been numerous locations throughout the years.

Barnaby's Schaumburg was originally franchised to Jim O'Toole. At this time numerous other franchises and company units were being opened. Mr. O'Toole thought a location in Arlington Heights would better suit his needs, so he arranged a switch in ownership with the Trader Group owned by George Hillgendorf, Ken Linnaen and James Hansen. Under their ownership Barnaby's Schaumburg opened in 1968. Their leadership team over the years consisted of personnel by the names: Don Richards, Del Brown, Kerry Kuhn, Sylvia Strass, John Reed, Marty Kane and John Bray. This team serviced the northwest suburbs until 1980.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:29:18 PM by Happy1 » Report to moderator   Logged
lavahott

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 06:13:52 PM »

I love BARNABY'S, my family and I would always go to the one on 27th. and Layton, we lived right there, blocks away,never have had pizza like it since and that Dark atmosphere they always had, I also years later found one of there Mugs at some Thrift store, I now keep it in my Curio cabinet behind Glass, what Great memories
Orpheus

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 09:25:39 PM »

Best pizza I ever had was at Zuli's on Hwy 100 in West Allis. My parents used to take us kids there as a special treat. And it was! Alas, I've never come across another pizza yet that matches their crust or tomato sauce. It was magical. Can't quite pinpoint where the building used to be, though...somewhere between Lincoln Ave and Greenfield Ave I think. Will have to look this up in the city directory some day. I think it was bought out by another restaurant at some point. Anyone know who the owner was or when it finally closed?
Roadsnakes

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 05:20:57 PM »

lavahott ,

WHERE ABOUT DID YOU LIVE FROM BARNABY`S?!

Close to Sholes JR High?  Wink
lavahott

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 07:08:19 PM »

nope, I lived right on Layton Ave just west of the entrance to K-mart back in the 70's
Roadsnakes

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 12:00:40 PM »

lavahott,

It`s probably before your time........but do you remember CROWN HAMBURGERS. It used to be just south of Edgerton ave on 27th street.

Great big good tasting burgers with fries and shake! Tongue
lavahott

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 03:36:21 PM »

Sounds fascinating, but no I don't remember Crown But I do remember Spartan Atlantic store up that way..AND I always hear to tell that like back in the 50's or 60's there also was some little Burger place around 27th and Rawson of which most Ppl. can never remember the name of it...seems like we changed this Pizza thread to a Burger thread  Wink
timmyj3

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »

There was a burger place out about 27th & College area and I think it was called Scottys. It seemed like chain and had a Scottish guy with bagpipes as some sort of mascot. Is this the place you are trying to remember? I think it was around thru the 70's and then became a Wendy's I believe.

Roadsnakes

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 11:16:34 AM »

I slightly remember that Scottys place. But, here`s one I doubt anyone will remember. Undecided
There was place on S 27th betwween Layton and Grange (closer to Layton) called Herkys. It was on the eastside of 27th. (might have misspelled it). They had great roast beef and burgers. They were only there for about a year. Back around 1971.

Hard to believe nobody remembers Crown Hamburgers on 27th and Edgerton. It was there for quite awhile in the mid to late 60`s. Embarrassed
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 05:28:20 PM »

Best pizza I ever had was at Zuli's on Hwy 100 in West Allis. My parents used to take us kids there as a special treat. And it was! Alas, I've never come across another pizza yet that matches their crust or tomato sauce. It was magical. Can't quite pinpoint where the building used to be, though...somewhere between Lincoln Ave and Greenfield Ave I think. Will have to look this up in the city directory some day. I think it was bought out by another restaurant at some point. Anyone know who the owner was or when it finally closed?

Zulli's location was 1427 S 108th. The owner Sylvian A Zulli.  Now listed as Fusion Cafe.

Zulli Sylvian A. "Sal" Passed away Thursday February 18, 2010 Age 88. Beloved father of Graci Zulli. Beloved grandfather of Sal Randall Dear brother of Rosalie Ferrante, Armand Zulli, Vita Budda and Anthony Zulli. Visitation at the funeral home Tuesday February 23. 12-2 pm. Sal proudly served in the Army Air Corp during WWII and was the long time co-owner of Zulli's Restaurant in West Allis.
timmyj3

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 08:52:16 AM »

My mom reminded me about a pizza place we would visit in the lates 60's. Auggies on 60th & Burnham or Mitchell. Anyone recall this? My only recall is that it was dark and very red inside. My dad liked it a lot for some reason. Looking back it was like something out of a mafia movie.

Tim
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: